Many of the greenhouse operations use soluble fertilizers by irrigation in the roots of plants. This method is called Fertigation. The solution of fertilizer is measured and injected into the irrigation line. The water supplies the fertilizer to the plants. Greenhouse irrigation is becoming very popular in horticultural and agricultural sectors.
It decreases the waste material and the impact on the environment. This is adopted by many farmers. There are many important benefits. They are as follows:
- The process of fertigation fertilizes the crops by using a hydroponic system or drip tape. It eliminates the use of the foliar Fertigation system delivers nutrients to the roots directly.
- Crop growers install fertigation for greenhouses to decrease the use of water.
- It also decreases the wastage of nutrients in large operations.
- It reduces the application and rate of fertilizers. At this moment, increases the impact of fertilizer used.
- It eliminates the need to water the crops in the evening. When you use the foliar spray, water gets collected on the plant surface. If the water is allowed to remain overnight, it can lead to the formation of fungus.
- The techniques of fertigation reduce the cost of fertilizers and variations in the soil.
Methods of Fertigation
There are two main methods of fertigation. They are proportional fertigation application and quantitative fertigation method.
- Proportional fertigation application method- The rate of injection is directly proportional to the rate of discharge of water. This is a very simple method. It is an efficient irrigation system where the demand for water and nutrients is high.
- Quantitative fertigation- It is used in the open field where production is very high. It uses the bypass tank. The nutrient solution is measured in accurate quantity and then applied to each of the blocks. Fertilizer Injection Control and distribution is very accurate.
- You must use the fertilizer that is soluble in water. It is necessary to avoid blocking.
- You must clean the system after application of nutrients. It helps to keep the line clear and clean of debris. It prevents the system from clogging and corrosion.
- Every plant has different requirement of nutrients. So, apply the nutrients according to the requirement.
- As a crop grower, you must compare readings against nutritional values. You are advised to adjust the values according to the type of soil and life cycle.
- Take care not to water the plant in excess. Nutrients like nitrogen might get leech into soil due to excess water.
- Take care of the length of the pipe and uniformity in the nutrient flow.
- To check the functioning of the system, you must measure the electrical conductivity of the solution.
- The method of fertigation depends on irrigation type and size of the greenhouse. You can also dissolve fertilizer in the container. Also, a hose injector can be used to water the plants manually.
The process of fertigation makes the process of crop production very simple and easy. It includes less labor and money. You must be aware of the nutrient requirement of every crop.